It is true that a good knife is just nothing when you are not going to accompany it with an excellent quality cutting board. Talking about the popularity of wooden cutting boards, here you will know as to how to oil and maintain them. We know that these cutting boards are one of the beloved kitchen tools we have so far! If you are using Damascus steel knives, use these cutting boards always!
Wooden boards need oiling and complete maintenance, here’s how you do this job. And if you want to add up your knowledge area on Damascus steel sword then stay tuned with us.
How to maintain wooden cutting boards?
You need to keep your wooden cutting boards all clean. They need daily maintenance from your side. You can wash them by using a hot soapy water. This is a good scrubbing routine which you can give to your cutting boards. You should not be soaking your boards in water for a long time, Otherwise, they will get cracked up. If you cut raw meat on your cutting board then you can wash your board with a weak bleach solution or it can be a solution of hydrogen peroxide. This solution will keep your board safe from bacterial contamination.
Oiling your wooden boards with Spoon Butter
The best way to oil your cutting boards is to apply the spoon butter on them. The oil used for this job has to be of food grade texture. Mineral oils have become popular and one of the inexpensive choices among the home-owners. This oil can be easily be purchased from the kitchen supply stores. You can make a homemade mixture of mineral oil and beeswax as well.
The Process to clean the wooden cutting board
- Before you start this job, make sure that your board should be scrubbed with salt and lemon. Let them dry before you apply oil on them. Let the oil to soak on the board for an as much long time as you can. You can use a food-grade oil or mineral oil or it can be a favorite oil mixture of yours.
- The first step is to clean the wood. It has to be thoroughly dry. You can use a coarse salt and a half lemon to give a scrub job to this board. Wipe-off your board by using this solution and ad allow it to dry completely and thoroughly.
- The second step is to apply the oil. You can use a clean and soft cloth for applying oil. You can even use a paper towel. Apply the oil in an even over this wooden cutting board.
- The third step is to allow the oil to soak in the board. This soaking process can be left for overnight or for a few hours.
- The last step is to remove the excess oil from the board by using a cloth or a paper towel. Your board should not feel damp.
This is how wood cutting boards can be cleaned and maintained!